Tuesday, December 1, 2009

contemplative thoughts

Still postponing that thanksgiving post... (where are those pictures?!)

Sorry, not a funny post today :\ (but a thoughtful one!)

Anyway, I've been watching this show about a girl being kind for the sake of being kind. Just impulsively acting on kindness and being thoughtful to others. Okay, that's not what the show is really about, but that's what I've been getting out of it recently.

Today (12/01), there was randomly this sample sale along the road at school and I thought I'd go take a look. I went into this tent full of photography and paintings and I saw these koi fish paintings that reminded me of my dad.

Before I was born, my dad used to paint a lot. He really likes scuba diving and just water in general, so in turn he also likes fish (...fish as friends, not food). He painted this huge painting of koi fish around my birthday a million years ago and to this day, it still is hanging above his bed.

I knew that I had to get one of these paintings for him just because I knew he would like it. Actually, I was caught in between 2 different paintings and I had a really hard time deciding. The artist asked me, "Which of the two paintings reflects your father's personality?" One was a heavy mix of black and red with gold fins and a gold tail and the other was mostly bright gold with specks of black and red.

Recently, he's been giving me a hard time about double majoring in IR and EALC, studying 3 languages and studying abroad. I know he just nags to me about it because he worries about whether I can accomplish all that I want to do, but it does get annoying that he seems to worry too much. His intentions are good and I know that he wants to support me in everything I do.

Despite the fact that he's been bothering me so much about what I'm confident in achieving, I know he cares and rather than being relentlessly hard on me and forcing me to do whatever he wants, he's been more like a light to help guide me down the path I've chosen.

So, I chose the bright gold one.


It may not look like a fancy painting, but I feel the detail and color really represent my dad and I hope he likes it when I give it to him on Christmas :D (It looks better in person!!)

I'm really glad I got to meet the artist of this painting because he is a really thoughtful man with a lot of insight on life (and he gave me a discount on the painting HAHA :X Shh my dad must not know). I plan to write about him in my next post!

And something more normal like my weird self...

I haven't gone shopping in ages and it's been a long time since I've found something that I really like!


Whoohoo! Weird lighting and a random bag with a funky owl on it :D

I seem to be really into owls... dare I say it? Are they my favorite animals?! MAYBE?! Oh yeah and green is my favorite color (as if nobody could tell). It's taking over all my stuff!!



And yes! That is a new GREEN cellphone with a GREEN OWL attached to it.

Good news! I now have a new phone, so people can actually reach me when I'm in my room now! Yay for having better reception! As you read this post, call me right now!! :D

3 comments:

  1. oKAY I NEED TO CATCH UP WITH U
    A) UR DAD IS AWESOME
    B) UR SUCH A CUTIE :D
    C) MY BANK GOT BROKEN INTO TODAY, FORTUNATELY NO LOSS OF MONEY. BUT I HAD TO SHUT DOWN ALL MY ACCOUNTS N OPEN NEW ONE
    D) I LOVE SCUBA DIVING
    E) IM AUDITIONING FOR AN ADITIONAL PIANO PERFORMANCE MINOR AND IF I GET IN OMG I HAVE TO GRADUATE IN 5 YRS + STUDY ABROAD

    F) I SEE HOW WE R IN SIMILAR SITUATION ^6
    G) U GOT A NEW HONE?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no wonder you texted me the other night!! I thought you were at the dining hall or something.

    don't worry about your dad, mai! seriously, just do the math: By double majoring in IR and EALC (with 2 languages), I was able to take the equivalent of 14 classes in language (studying abroad twice, once in the summer once in the spring). Japanese 1 - Adv 4 and Chinese 1 - Adv 2. It's possible to do 15 classes of language if you REALLY want, I just screwed up my freshman year schedule so I couldn't...

    Now consider that you started at Japanese Adv 3 and you're already at Chinese 3 (right?). Getting a significant amount of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean done is going to be no problem for you. Just make sure you balance out each semester in GEs and IR classes. For example, I would judge classes by whether they would be relatively hard or easy. I made sure not to take any more than two hard/demanding classes a semester. taking two lower level language classes at a time is totally doable, but it will be harder to juggle two advanced language classes at the same time AND an upper division IR requirement. I hope that makes sense to you, it's just something I kept in mind when choosing classes to make sure that I wouldn't get too stressed out. I'm actually graduating with 180 units and I've pretty much only had 16-unit semesters all through college, except for one semester where I thought taking Calligraphy would be fun. :X

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^-- Thanks for the super long comment!

    I'm pretty sure I'll graduate with no problem, I'm just getting stressed out convincing my dad that I'll be fine.

    He seems to think it's a lot more difficult than it really is, but there are people who are doing way more than me and they do fine.

    It's just that thing where you don't feel at ease until your parents are first, you know?

    I just want him to stop worrying about me D:

    ReplyDelete